Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Small Milestones

.
Amidst the terrible eBay mess and strike this week....I made a small milestone.
I just sold my 1000th dress! Not only on eBay of course, I mean I have done a lot of outside orders and Etsy and 2 private weddings etc....but it was pretty cool to hit the 1000 mark. Especially considering this was not even a career move.
It just fell into my lap sort of.
I stopped working when I was 6 months pregnant. My pregnancies were just terrible.
And I figured I would not work again. But then Andrew got Multiple Sclerosis and we needed extra income for the medications. I started making my own clothes...and so many people asked me about them, and asked me to make the same thing for them! So there the whole baby doll revolution began!
At the time there were no Torrids in Eugene, Oregon. And finding plus sized clothing was hard.
Its still really hard to fin 4X - 7X babydolls. Heck half the time its hard to find 1X - 4X babydolls.
Since babydolls were easiest for me to whip out and they sold, here I am almost 3 years later (I checked the dates on my ebay feedback)...still making them!
And most of my customers have been back for more!
In that time I managed to pay for Andrew's monthly medications and pay for us to fly to Oregon and back. And help with bills. Plus some fun spending money! So overall it has been a great experience.
It introduced me to alot of cool women online and made me realize how important it is for a woman to feel beautiful at any size! And it did introduce me to my best friend EVER! Tasha which is really cool. I never knew I could find such good friends online...I tell you though, I have so many friends now....And I really care for them and respect them. I think that is really cool.
And for them to be able to find fun hip styles at an size.

I wish I had more time and resources to be able to make more than just babydolls. I have so many ideas in this pink head. But I feel blessed by God that he has given me a way to use my sewing to not only help my family but to help others feel good too.

I have gained, self confidence in running my own business, I have gained a new respect for the plight of the plus sized woman. I truly believe that it is the revolution of women everywhere.
And it starts at home by feeling and looking beautiful and portraying that to the outside world!

Wearing my own clothing made me walk a little taller and carry a bigger smile. That feeling is contagious! When I see a beautiful plus sized confident woman. It makes me think...."THAT is beauty!",
So I give myself a little kudos today! and toot my own horn for a moment and stop to thank God for his blessings in my life.

2 comments:

Ziggyeor said...

(ok hopefully this doesn't post twice ;) )

Congrats on your 1,000th Dress and helping to support your family!

Sounds awsome that you can help yourself and others feel beautiful :D

Ziggy

Unknown said...

Congrats Pinky! This dress is fantastic!! Do you make kids stuff?? I might need to hire you!