Monday, March 14, 2011

~♡♥Back From KY & New TUTORIAL...Chicks 2!!♥♡~

Good morning!!!! Did ya miss me???

I "thought" I would have full internet access and my laptop to
work with while I was gone, so I planned to blog from Kentucky, but as
we all know life is not very planned, so I ended up being MIA. LOL

I had a great and BUSY time! Thanks Mindy for letting me stay with ya.
I met some amazing people this weekend and while scrapping in Mindy's
basement I went ahead and made this and took pictures for a tutorial!
Mindy let me use her goodies, and she handed me a blank frame.
This is what I came up with and she was gracious enough to give it to me!
I wanted to share how I made the aging on this vintage frame.

Aged Vintage Frame Tutorial:
I wanted a crackled age look and we did not have
any crackle paint, after the frame was painted and dried overnight I took
Mod Podge and coated a small section at a time, then I used the PLAID paint
and coated over the wet Mod Podge. You can see it is fairly thick.
I worked with 2-3" sections and before working on the next section
I took out my heat gun and thoroughly DRIED each section, watching it
crack a little making a faux wood grain texture.
After I finished the entire frame making sure it was really dry, I
took this Tattered Rose (You could use any color) Distress Ink and I rubbed
it all over the frame making the aging and distressing pop out.
Now I felt it looked great that way but I wanted it slightly more subtle,
so after I dried it again with the heat gun I added a very THIN coat of
the Plaid Paint over the top and I used my Imaginisce D-stress tool to go
over the edges and top, then I added my paper and embellishments.
I also used my Glue Arts FABRIC glue for the ribbon, and 3D UCUT to
pop up the metal LIVE. I am really pleased with the final project! :)
Oh and look at what I came home to!!
8 brand new baby chicks! We had planned on getting 5 more in April
but hubby fell in love and got 8 instead.
He even got me 3 new baby Rhode Island Reds.
I am so happy. It was a sweet day, I will post more pictures this week
I have a few stories too. For now I am off to pack orders for Tally and rest.
Have a wonderful Monday!

Photobucket

14 comments:

Dawnll said...

Love the distressed frame and the subtle ink on top. Wonderful sentiment.
Oh your chick is adorable as can be.
Can't wait to see how big it grows.
Welcome home

Drayia said...

Welcome home Pinky, we missed you on your blog but thats how life is. Glad you are back and had a wonderful time. What cute chicks. Have a wonderful relaxing day.

Cowspotdog said...

That is a wonderful frame and a very creative way to get that crackle distressed look. I love the baby chick and how lucky are you to have 3 Rhode Island Reds - they are awesome layers. Watch out for any Roosters though they can be very protective of their hens.

Kelly Sas said...

I DID miss you & your postings Pinky, but it was worth it to know you had a good time. You made up for it with this great posting too! I LOVE, love this framed piece you made!!! The metal, distressing, and wording are all so perfect. You never fail to come up with the most amazing things. How fun to come home to 8 baby chicks! Please keep taking pics of them as they grow and post them. Welcome home!

Manhattan Mandie said...

What a gorgeous project, Pinky!!! Glad you had a great time :) I'm not really a chicken girl but I think I probably would have come home with a few... how cute!!!! Looking forward to more baby pics, LOL!

Dot said...

Beautiful frame! I love the saying you used! The pic of the baby chick is so cute!!

Jingle said...

This is gorgeous!

joni said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Welcome back! This frame is just so pretty! Very elegant with the lace, flowers, distressing and butterflies! Love it!
hugs,
joni

Tona said...

Welcome back!
Love your project & what a sweet little chick.

Cassie_lu said...

the framed art looks amazing. great job on distressing it.

Unknown said...

Pinky! It's gorgeous, but that's no surprise! I love the technique, and the colors are so subtle and wonderful. Great job!

Kim A. said...

Glad you had a good time on your trip. Love the frame and thanks for the tutorial. The chick is adorable!!

Nanabells said...

I love your frame!!! Glad you had a good time but we did miss you. Cute chicks :-)

Unknown said...

I really really REALLY want one. They are so adorable!!!

Amanda