Wednesday, February 25, 2009

~Friendships and Scrapbooking~ Don't forget yesterday RAK~!

I thought I would post today about how much Scrapbooking has blessed my life.
Before I scrapped, I had friends, don't get me wrong.
But Scrapbooking has made finding new friends and making relationships
so easy. We already have something in common....crafting...but also
love of family/friends/pets and self exploration.This is one of the amazing people I have met through Fiskateers.
*disclaimer* I had knocked back a few drinks and de-iced my van.


It has also been a tremendous way to share my story of
abuse/survival with other survivors.
When I first opened up about being abused the response was overwhelmingly
negative. Many would ask me to be quiet, or lie about it.
They would tell me it made them uncomfortable.
Which made me feel even MORE ashamed than I already had my entire childhood.
But for some reason when I open up to other crafters,
they have always welcomed me with loving open arms.
Ok, not all but 95%
And that just tells me, crafters and scrappers have huge hearts.
Now those are the kind of friends I want in my life!

After the chat in Fiskateers with Erin Manning,
she challenged us to use some of her techniques and grab a picture.
This is mine. Overall I am pleased with the result.
5 yr olds do not cooperate LOL


And yes, I am scrapping. This is a sneak peek of my DT work for the 1st!

Have a beautiful day.
Don't forget about yesterday's RAK!
~Pinky~

13 comments:

Jillene said...

Scrapping ROCKS!! I am glad that you have found understanding friends in your scrapbook friends. And anyone who tells you not to talk about your abuse is a putz!!

Karen Brooks said...

I'm right there with ya on the friendships I've developed and how precious they are to me. Keep up the great work!

Jocelyn said...

I too could not agree with you more!!! Scrapping friends are the VERY BEST!!! I have met Sandra through my Blog and she lives in Texas and we talk once a week!!! How awesome is that!!!! Love the pic of you, you sweet thing!!!! The pic of your son is awesome and I can't wait to see the whole LO! Have a Wonderful Wednesday!!!

Elizabeth Sanchez said...

oh dude i love you! hahahahaa i think you are a very strong lady and i am so proud to know you! *hugs*

Michelle said...

Pinky,
You should never feel ashamed for anything in your past...it makes us who we are! I was raped at 13 and I can tell you that yes it did change me, but it also made me a very strong person. Would I like for it to have never happened, yes.But then I would not be the person I am today!
Keep your chin up and enjoy your friends and family!

Cant wait to see that finished product!

Bamabel said...

I agree! I have made so many awesome friendships through scrappin'! It has been one of the biggest blessings in my life!

Love the sneak peek too! Can't wait to see!

Kray said...

Pinky...it takes courage and strength to tell your story. By doing this....you are actually helping about victims of abuse.

Talking about your abusers, other family members or friends are "ashamed" and don't want that dirty secret out there.

Unfortunately, the victims are the ones hurting the most while the abuser gets away w/ it.

I don't know if I want to use the word "victim"....Is there a word you would describe a victim?

Dolores said...

love that photo!

Georgina said...

what a beautiful picture of your little boy!! =)

Niki Ray's Book Blog said...

In my experiance with crafter they have alway taking me in with loving arms. I think your great and the work you do is a reflextion of you. I dont know your back story but I have my own...I know it is great to have a group of pals to talk,bitch,vent or create with and if you wanna do any of that with me....lol just drive on up 65Hwy I am here :)

Cee said...

Girl, I want to thank you for introducing me into the world of scrapping. You are such an amazing friend, and and AWESOME scrapper. Thank you so much for being my friend and just being YOU.... thats who I want to be like. Hugs sweetie.

Karin Leveillee said...

Although I have huge anxiety issue right now, I do feel that scrappin' and being part of a community has helped.... I just have to push myself to actually get out to a crop and physically interact with people.

I guess I'm scared that no one will talk to me and I'll be sitting in my little corner at a crop...

I applaud you for being brave and sharing what happened to you. It's very rare that you find someone willing to share what they've been through. You're a beautiful person and don't let anyone stop you from being you.

Take care.

Scrappy Doo 2 u said...

Scrapbookers rock! I think it's b/c we're in tune with our thoughts. We look at the bigger picture. I hate that you didn't get the support you needed at the time in your life where you needed it most. Always know you have a friend in me ... and I'm certain many of the other gals who post on your bloggy! HUGS!